Note: The Rickshaw is sold as of June 2016. It has found a new family to serve, and wasn’t really getting the use after the Pedicab showed up on the scene.
The Rickshaw is 2005 China Vehicle TC-93. It is not a western professional grade “pedicab”, and is priced accordingly. It was around $350 new, whereas a Main Street pedicab costs around $3400. The Rickshaw has a ton of frame flex, some ugly welds, paint runs, and currently one speed. As of this writing (April 20, 2008) I have about $450 in it including USA sealed rear bearings, the new for 2008 custom canopy with integrated LED Christmas lights (click on the picture for a better view), and miscellaneous other things.
Changes from stock
The Rickshaw was missing some parts when I got it, and has received some upgrades since. Here I’ll cover the changes that have been made.
These are all enhancements since there was no stock lighting at all.
Lighting is accomplished with LEDs and batteries all over the place. There’s a total of 67 LEDs and 11 batteries used to illuminate the Rickshaw.
|Light group||LED count||Batteries used||Notes|
|Headlight||21 LEDs||3 AAA||This is a meritline.com bike headlight. It was about $8 shipped. It is plenty bright, sometimes I don’t turn all the LEDs on.|
|Tail lights||6 total (3 per side)||4 AA (2 per side)||These were bought locally from Small Business Systems for $1 each. They originally had clips on the back. I dremeled those off, drilled holes to mount to the valance panel, and mounted them to the Rickshaw.|
|Canopy lights||2 strands of 20 LEDs = 40 LEDs total||4 C cells (2 per strand)||These are sewn into the canopy fringe around the back half of the Rickshaw and are there for looks, ambiance, and safety. I don’t remember what they cost, but they are from a post-Christmas Walmart sale in 2006 and were cheap.|
The Rickshaw came incomplete and has proven to be trouble prone to boot. Here’s parts added, replaced, repaired, and removed:
|Schwinn Cycle Computer||Had another cycle computer but an important part (that might not have even worked) was missing, so a cheap Schwinn was bought for under $10 and it seems to work well.||Added.|
|USA made sealed bearings||The Rickshaw didn’t come with bearings, even though it was supposed to. I emailed back and got more parts and still no bearings. Well, thanks to about $40 if I recall and a cool parts dude at NAPA, properly sized bearings were found. This has to be the most expensive part of the Rickshaw by pound.||Added.|
|Foot brake||The Rickshaw came with an unnecessary foot brake that was in the way. A saw solved that problem.||Removed.|
|Saddle||The Rickshaw had a lame saddle that came with it, and then when replacement parts came in there was a different style seat that was less lame than the first, but still lame. That seat crumbled under use. I saw a new Bell cruiser saddle on the shelf at Fred Meyer one night for $6.99. Cheap! Well, it was marked wrong, they confirmed that, but sold it to me for $6.99 anyway. Sweet!||Replaced.|
|Seat||The Rickshaw had a lame passenger seat in the back that broke on a mission in 2007. Long term, we’re going to replace it, but short term, it needed fixed. The palette-grade boards under the seat foam were replaced with a piece of scrap plywood.||Repaired.|
|Second fold-up canopy||I hated this thing. It was annoying up. I couldn’t readily see around it. It was rarely used. When the new canopy was being added, that was the end for the second canopy, now with non-matching fabric.||Removed.|
|Pedals||The Rickshaw came with lame pedals. One day while riding, I snapped one of the pedals in half. We went looking for parts from (I think it is) A1 Bicycles and ended up with a cheap set of pedals. They’re still working pretty well.||Replaced.|
|Passenger floor grate retaining bolts||I lost the right side top bolt while on an extended ride with a bench climb. The top bolts on both sides were replaced with some nicer looking carriage bolts.||Replaced.|
|Rear right wheel||The rear right wheel had a wobble from day one. Was it born that way, or did the bend occur in shipping? I don’t know, but I do know that it was not correct. A trip to Bikes2Boards in Boise later, and the wheel is good.||Repaired.|
|Rear axle wheel bolts||The rear right wheel bolt had a tendency to come loose. Replaced it and the left side wheel bolt as well with some nicer bolts from Tacoma Screw.||Replaced.|
These make the ride more fun.
|Custom canopy||Kelly was looking for a sewing project and I wanted a new canopy. It is serious cheese with 40 integrated LED lights, a snakeskin print, and tassels.||Replaced.|
|Headbadge||The Rickshaw didn’t come with a headbadge, but a trip to the salvage yard yielded a Buick 90th Anniversary fender badge which is now the headbadge.||Added.|
|Stickers||There’s a variety of stickers on the Rickshaw. The fenders have industrial “No Step” stickers on them. Most of the stickers have found their way to the valance panel.||Added.|